Pretty much the default bread machine white bread from the bread machine recipe book, but nicer chew, tang, and texture. As The Mister said, “This tastes better because it’s bad for us.”
If you make your own buttermilk substitute using skim milk and vinegar, you can cut out the saturated fat. I haven’t tried that, but I rarely have buttermilk on hand, or heavy cream to make my own, so I just might need to someday.
Comes together in about 10 minutes if you use the microwave for the refrigerated items and can get to your ingredients without negotiating around 3 dogs, 2 cats, 100 tennis balls, and an unorganized larder.
My 2-pound loaf weighed in at 1 pound, 6.4 ounces/636 grams.
I chose medium crust and it was too dark for my liking.
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk, warmed slightly
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 cups white bread flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- Place ingredients in the bread machine pan in the order suggested by the manufacturer.
- Select basic bread cycle and start machine.
Nutrition — all ingredients together are:
- calories – 1793
- fat – 25.1 g
- carb – 315 g
- protein – 47.2 g
- sodium – 2420 g
Makes a 2 pound loaf, allegedly.